January 15, 1934
Founding Pastor Carl Burnham leads the first public Sunday gathering of The Chapel with 50 charter members in a rented storefront space on Maple Street at “Five Points.”.
Brown & Vine
The Chapel purchases land on the corner of Brown & Vine near The University of Akron. Initially, the church met in a basement but was able to build a sanctuary for worship four years later. Membership in 1940 is around 450.
The Move to Fir Hill
Membership grows to 1000. The Chapel moves to 135 Fir Hill and constructs the worship space now known as the Memorial Chapel. The cornerstone was laid on Palm Sunday 1954. On March 27, 1955, 1,000 men, women and children walked from Brown and Vine to The Chapel’s new home on Fir Hill. They sang hymns all the way.
Pastor Dave Burnham
Pastor Carl Burnham passes away, and later his son David Burnham becomes the new senior pastor. Dave and his wife, Sue, wrote neighborhood Bible study materials and trained members who hosted more than 100 Bible studies in their homes throughout the Akron area.
The camp in Portage County with more than 350 acres is purchased and named “Camp Carl” in honor of our founding pastor. The vision is to establish a robust gospel-centered camping ministry for children & youth.
Fir Hill Worship Center
The Worship Center at the Akron Campus is built and membership grows to some 4500.The Worship Center at the Akron Campus is built and membership grows to some 4500.
1975 + 1976
Church Planting Begins
1975 - The Dang family arrives as refugees from Vietnam sponsored by The Chapel.
1976 - Staff pastor Joel Cochran is sent out to plant The Chapel in Marlboro, our first Daughter Church.
1981 + 1982
More Church Planting
1981 - The Chapel begins to support pastors and church planting efforts in Vietnam.
1982 - Pastor Jim Colledge is sent out to plant The Chapel in Hudson, now known as Christ Community Chapel.
Pastor Knute Larson
Pastor David Burnham moves on to found Burnham Ministries International for training pastors, and Knute Larson becomes the third Senior Pastor of The Chapel. Under Knute’s leadership, Adult Bible Fellowships, ABFs, grew and the church helped more ‘sister’ churches get started.
With attendance hovering at around 8,000 and multiple services maxed out, ‘20/20: The Next Chapter’ was launched. In June of 2003, the Green Campus opened its doors and The Chapel officially became ‘One Church, Two Locations.
The Chapel in North Canton
Pastor Dave Malick plants The Chapel in North Canton.
1991 + 1994
Riverwood + Valleyview Church Plants
1991 - Pastor Paul Sartarelling plants Riverwood Community Chapel in Kent, Ohio.
1994 - Valleyview Chapel is launched in Wadsworth, planted by Pastor Bill McClure.
The Chapel in Green
Through the 2020 Capital Campaign, the people of The Chapel pledge and give some $24 million for building the Green Campus as well as churches overseas and development projects at Camp Carl.
The Green Campus Launches
The Green Campus launches with Pastor Doug Clark and some 2000 people sent out from Akron. In 2005, Mike Castelli becomes Campus Pastor.
Church Planting Here + Abroad
The Chapel begins a key strategic partnership with the Good Shepherd schools and church plants in Northern India. Pastor Dave McClellan also plants The Chapel at Tinker’s Creek, the first ‘grand-daughter’ church at The Chapel.
The Chapel partners with World Relief in Mozambique, Africa to adopt villages for gospel-driven humanitarian ministry & church development.
Pastor Paul Sartarelli
Pastor Paul Sartarelli returns to The Chapel to succeed Pastor Larson. In 2009, he becomes our fourth Senior Pastor.
The Wadsworth Campus
Valleyview Chapel in Wadsworth is enfolded back into The Chapel as The Wadsworth Campus & Pastor Zac Derr becomes the Campus Pastor.
Pastor Tim Armstrong
Pastor Tim Armstrong becomes the fifth Senior Pastor of The Chapel after Pastor Sartarelli’s departure in 2013. The Chapel also begins a strategic partnership with Mission House in the Yucatan, Mexico.
Cambodia + Vietnam
The Chapel partners with Asia’s Hope to adopt orphans in Cambodia and help establish new houses to reach more at-risk children. The Chapel also established a renewed partnership and focus for church planting in the Thai Nguyen Province in North Vietnam.
The Kenmore Campus
Pastor Jacob Ley is sent out to plant the Kenmore Campus as the first new campus in our vision to plant 10 churches in 10 years - the Saturate Movement begins.
The Cuyahoga Falls Campus
Pastor Stephen Neumeyer is sent out to plant the Cuyahoga Falls Campus.
Church Planters In Residence
Pastor Ben White becomes Lead Pastor of the Kenmore Campus. Pastors Alan Bowdler and Colin Mattoon join the Saturate Movement as church planters in residence, working toward opening new campuses in the Medina and Perry Township areas.
The Nordonia Campus
Pastor Chase Jones is sent out to plant the Nordonia Campus.
Ready To Follow God's Call
We look forward, with expectation, to the way God will lead us in the months and years ahead.
We are committed to seeing every person: believing in Jesus, belonging to family, becoming a disciple, building his kingdom